Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Ride the Lightning










In March, 2007 Foundation Skateboards released their very metal influenced skate video 'Cataclysmic Abyss'. Since I am very much into Metal and I skate, I guess they thought I was the man for the job. I was asked to come up with a cover concept as a sort of homage to Frank Frazetta. The first sketch I did was more humorous and skateboarding involved. The chick in the picture was originally wearing elbow-pads and Knee-pads and riding a skateboard in a kneeling position(shown above). I was also planning to do a full wrap-around cover. We ended up sticking with the traditional fantasy composition you see on the DVD cover. Not sure which version I would have liked better? Either way, this is on my top 5 list of favorite projects. Tod Swank is an ex-pro skater who now owns Foundation Skateboards and he is the coolest. I thank him for asking me to be part of this project. Tum Yeto staff artist Nathan Bell who is also the proprietor of Pony Attack helped me out along the way as well and designed a cool limited version of the DVD that looks like a 7" record. Check out these two new decks with the DVD cover split across them. Then last we have a picture of Foundation Flow dudes Sean and Chris with the two decks. (Note: Click on images for larger view)
www.cataclysmicabyss.com
www.skateboardingfoundation.com